SEPTEMBER 16, 2023

The Board of Directors’ meeting commenced at 8:00 AM.

The following Board members were in attendance:  Ed Jordan (President), Kathleen Maynes (Secretary), Mike McGregor, and John Carney (General Manager).  Scott Healy and Bruce Phillips (Treasurer) joined via Zoom after the Open Session. Mike Cioffi (Vice President) and Jerry Beskovoyne were excused.

Conversation started with a discussion about Short Term Rentals (STRs).  Kathleen brought in the rules from another development on Lake Wallenpaupack that only allowed rentals for 30 days or more.  It was determined that a number of Board members would get together in October to discuss STRs.  They would review our Association’s rules and the Paupack Township Ordinance and put in place the stronger components of both documents. They will also discuss any other developments on STRs. 

Ed then began the open session at 9:00 AM with the Pledge of Allegiance.

General Manager’s Report (John Carney):

  • The outdoor pools are now closed and the indoor pool is open.
  • The BODs will meet to review Paupack Township’s new ordinance and our current rules.  They will be summarizing both documents and combining them for an understanding on the topic. New developments on this topic will be discussed.
  • The Technology Committee has met. Volunteers who have experience in technology have volunteered their time to assist with upgrades to our system.  Kathleen explained some of the issues they are currently addressing:
    • Zoom/webcam access for broadcasting meetings;
    • Audio upgrades for the MCH;
    • Increased WiFi access at amenities;
    • Users’ policy for WiFi usage;
    • Recommendation for new LCD projector for MCH.
  • Our surveillance cameras have been upgraded and additional areas can now be viewed.
  • Dominic is looking at digital speed limit signs with camera.
  • The BODs is currently working on the budget for 2024.
  • The Fawn Hill well project should begin any day.

Questions/Comments from Property Owners:

Comment:  People who own empty lots need to be sent a letter about their ditches when they are not cleaned.

Response:  We will contact them.

Comment:  Some of the West Gate mailboxes are damaged.

Response:  The Post Office has a work order in to repair them.

Question:  What are the kilowatts for the proposed electronic message board at the Main Gate?

Answer:  The BODs have not received the specs on an electronic message board.  Therefore, it cannot be even considered until the specs are given to the BODs.

Question:  How much will the digital speed camera cost?

Answer:  We don’t know. We are just beginning to investigate them.

Question: What is the dollar approval needed for an item to be put out for vote?

Answer:  Approximately over $120,000.

Question:  Is there a 90 day compliance period for STRs (Paupack Township)?

Answer:  Any existing STR has 90 days to apply.  New STRs must apply immediately and receive approval before rentals start.

Comment:  I think it is a bad idea for putting up speed cameras.

Comment:  I heard the electronic bulletin board was approved by Recreation.

Response:  The BODs has not even seen the specs on this.  The BODs must approve this first.

Comment:  Have you corrected the water stains in WLE’s water.

Response:  Brian has spoken to your wife about this.

Question:  Can we do anything about speeding on Lakeland Drive?

Answer:  We do not own Lakeland Drive.

Comment:  A property owner mentioned his sewer back up and asked for financial compensation from WLE.  

Comment:  Leaves are coming to my culvert from uphill.

Response:  Call Fran. She will check into it.

Question:  Is there any ID for use of a golf cart by a STRer?

Answer:  We will be discussing whether to let STRs use golf carts or UTVs.  They would be issued a citation if they do something wrong.  The property owner would have to make sure the citation was paid.

Comment: It would be nice if we could identify renters with a different color sticker and badges.

Response: More importantly than the vehicles on the roads, it could be valuable information to know the numbers at the amenity areas.

Question:  Isn’t it a business to rent a house?

Answer:  It is not considered a business.

Question:  Can we change the covenant to exclude STRing?

Answer:  It is more difficult to amend the covenants than the bylaws. To prohibit renting the covenants would need to be amended. Further restrictions can be possibly handled in the bylaws.

Question:  If NYC can do it, why can’t WLE.

Answer:  We might possibly be able to limit renting for less than 30 days.

Comment:  We should raise the fees on not only STRs but also Long term rentals.

Comment:  Water is coming on my property from an empty lot.

Response:  Call Fran.  She will come over and look at it and send them a letter.

Question:  Was a number of outsiders coming into WLE this summer?

Answer:  Not many. Most of the no WLE IDs were trackable to our property owners.

Comment:  The Gym’s air conditioning is not working.

Response:  Someone drilled a hole in the thermostat.  We are trying to get the system back online.    

Question:  How many cars have been booted so far?

Answer:  Five and they are all property owners.

Comment:  The water is not good in Section 5.  

Response:  Brian will check into it. 

A discussion followed about the water quality.  The DEP does check the water regularly and the results are published in our newsletter.  The DEP has found WLE’s water quality to be satisfactory.  However, if a property owner is having a problem, they should contact the office.  Brian will be asked to attend our next open meeting to answer any questions about the water and sewer system.  

Following the Open Board of Directors Meeting, the Board of Directors reconvened their regular meeting at 10:10AM. 

Scott Healy and Bruce Phillips (Treasurer) joined via Zoom after the Open Session.

A motion to approve the minutes from the Board of Directors’ Meeting on August 19, 2023 was made by Scott and Mike M.  The minutes were unanimously approved.  

Reports of Departments / Committees/ Ad Hoc Groups:

Treasurer’s Report/Finance (Bruce Phillips):

  • The Financial Reporting Package dated August 31, 2023 was previously distributed.
  • As of now, all Departments are favorable
  • Next month, the budget will be reviewed line by line in preparation for 2024.
  • The CD interest rates have increase dramatically.
  • The permit has been approved for Fawn Hill well.
  • The Cap for new items is $124,000, without requiring an approval vote by the POA membership.

Maintenance / Housekeeping: 

  • Maintenance has been addressing the following items: maintaining the lawns, deer proofing the new trees, painting the outdoor bathrooms, upgrading the bocci courts, getting the outdoor pools ready to be winterized, and working on the culverts and ditches.
  • The Marina walkways are being lowered as necessary.
  • Maintenance also removed the old compactor and washed the concrete slab underneath to prepare for a new compactor.
  • Cord is to be commended for doing a great job running the pools this year.
  • Upcoming tasks include completing fall cleanups, getting the spreader and plow ready for the winter season, closing the outdoor pools and outdoor buildings, removing swim ropes at interior lakes, and bring the lighthouse up to the shop.
  • Despite personnel shortages, the Housekeeping Department did a great job keeping the amenities clean and straightened. 

Sewer and Water (Mike McGregor)

  • Miscellaneous maintenance was performed at the sewer plant and sewer system.
  • Leak detection continues for water loss as flows are above average.
  • Indian Drive water tower work will start on Monday, September 18th.
  • The permits have been obtained for chlorine reduction project at Fawn Hill Well. The work should begin any day. 
  • Water flushing will take place in October.

Public Safety (Ed Jordan):

  • Dominic provided the BODs with a Public Safety Report for August 2023 that included citations, incidents, and EMS calls.
  • The WLE camera system has been upgraded.  New areas have been added for surveillance.
  • Dominic is getting prices on electronic speed signs for problematic areas.


Building Committee (Scott Healy):.

  • 44 non fee permits and 26 tree removal permits were issued.
  • The BODs are looking for their recommendation on underground propane tank concealment.
  • The BODs is requesting language for a motion on erosion and house painting.

Recreation: (Scott Healy) 

  • The summer provided a vast array of successful activities.  They included the Flea Market, Comedy Night, Car Show, Fishing Derby, Ceramics, Facebook Workshops, Sip and Paint, Texas Hold’Em, Summer Rec Program, Summer Bingo, Beach Party, Corn Hole Tournament, Triathlon, Music in the Park, Cardboard Boat Races, and  Tricky Tray.
  • The upcoming activities include Truck or Treat, Thursday Coffee, Warrior Ornaments, Craft Fair, and a Very Merry Christmas.
  • The Swim Team had an excellent season with approximately 100 swimmers.
  • The Recreation Committee wanted to know if the Indemnity letter for people who do not have insurance is strong enough.  It was determined that is appropriate.
  • The Recreation Committee had issues involving summer bingo and badges.  Security can be called if there is an issue, but they cannot be there on continuous duty.
  • The Craft Shop offered gift certificates for the Tricky Tray.  These gift certificates were only for WLE clothing. The Craft Shop will have to honor these gift certificates for any items.  
  • The Craft Shop needs to provide an accounting of sales profits from 3rd party vendors. 

Marina Committee (Kathleen Maynes):.

  • Heavier bolts are being investigated to be used when building the docks.
  • Marina Committee members have volunteered to spray the dock with a preservative when they are being stored for the winter.  The BODs wants them to check with the DEP and/or Brookfield to see if this is permitted.  They also want an estimate of the amount of preservative necessary to complete this task.

CDC (Mike Cioffi):  (No report – Meeting is today.)

Neighborhood Watch (Mike McGregor): 

  • Neighborhood Watch is making plans to clean the Medical Supply Room.
  • Members of Neighborhood Watch were informed about the continuing of flags, WLE plates, and stickers on recreational vehicles.
  • Neighborhood Watch assisted at various events including the Flea Market, Beach Party,Triathlon, and Cardboard Boat Races.  They will also assist at the Trunk or Treat.

WLE Beautification: 

  • The Beautification Committee is working on its fall decorations.
  • The BODs thank the Committee for the beautiful flowers that bloomed throughout the summer.
  • The Beautification Committee will be meeting this month.

Technology Committee (Proposed) (Kathleen Maynes):

  • The Technology Committee is working on a charter to present to the BODs.
  • They are looking into improving Wi-Fi access at various amenities.
  • Upon the request of the Recreation Committee, they have recommended speakers.
  • The Committee is checking with Verizon, T-Mobile, and AT&T for possible future savings.
  • Wi-Fi and Zoom access policies are being explored.
  • The BODs reacted favorably to their suggested purchases for Zooming/recording open meetings.

The following motion was made by ED and seconded by Bruce:

Motion to purchase up to $1200. for technology for open Zoom meetings.

It was unanimously approved. 

First right of refusals were done via email due to the fact that they were time sensitive.  They were unanimously approved.  


  • A property owner complained about harassment from a neighbor.  She was told to call the State Police.
  • A letter was received regarding a ruling from the CDC that was supported by the BODs. (Illegal parking and no WLE ID) The BODs still stands on their decision.

Unfinished Business:

  • The BODs are waiting for specs for the electronic bulletin board
  • It has been very difficult to o obtain prices on solar power on the Main Club House and Main Office. Ed will continue to explore this.  


New Business:

  • A property owner requested a bench be put up at the Marina in memory of his son.  He would purchase the bench and pay for any future maintenance for the bench.  The BODs determined that it could be place between the top of the ramp and the bottom of the lake looking at the lake.
  • The BODs is not interested in installing speed bumps on Boathouse Road.

A motion to adjourn the meeting at 12:30 PM was made by Bruce, seconded by Scott, and approved unanimously.

The next BOD meeting is scheduled for October 21, 2023.  

Respectfully submitted,

Kathleen R. Maynes